StoneTree Farm

StoneTree Farm
StoneTree Farm

Tuesday 27 December 2011

So I Sang To The Steers

So I sang to the steers. And the next day, all the stock – steers and sheep – were diligently chowing down. I went back in the afternoon and they were still at it. I was pretty darned pleased with the response to my exhortations to eat, eat, eat. I could practically see the grass disappearing. I paid no attention to the other farmers who claimed that it was the sun drying the grass that encouraged our stock. Not my preaching. But since it has drizzled ever since and no four-legged friend has continued with the feeding frenzy, I reluctantly concede that those pooh-pooh farmers might be right.
It is holiday time and the whole family is here on the farm for two weeks which pleases me no end. Alessia and I are tending the vegetable garden. I pulled out the green beans which did not do well and have replaced them with squash for which I have high hopes. It has rained all night since so I have high hopes that the new seedlings settled in well.
Quarantine being over, Dan and Yael moved the 3 new steers to join the established 4 in paddock #3. I don’t know if I’ve described #3 to you. It is hilly but not as steep as #1. The really tricky part is that near the road, there is a deep gully lined with willow trees. Stock love it since it offers plenty of protection from the elements and lots of grass. The problem is that once they are in there, you can’t see them from the road so you have to hoof it over a fence, down the gully and start looking. Try that with 7 black steers. It is plenty dark down there.
I was pretty keen to keep up the sermonizing but my audience seems to have disappeared on me. Perhaps they are just adjusting to each other. Yael tells me that when the newbies were introduced that a lot of head butting went on. Nothing serious just simple statements of ownership of the domain. When I went down the next morning, all 7 were lying around together. Very little chewing was taking place. I tried discussing the prime directive with them – eat, eat, eat so others might feast – but they were singularly unresponsive.
We got another possum last night and the garage was invaded by what sounded like a horde of scavengers. We really must do something about that broken lattice. It is still raining and we are still waiting for the drought. Farming continues to be unpredictable and fascinating. I can’t wait to see what the new year will bring. Happy new year to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment