StoneTree Farm

StoneTree Farm
StoneTree Farm

Thursday 2 February 2012

Flystrike Again

We almost lost the ram. My old adversary was near death from flystrike. Dan came up midmorning on Sunday and he and our neighbor Dave struggled for the rest of the day to save the ram. They both assured me that I did not want to see maggots swarming over the doughty warrior and I agreed with them. So I can't tell you firsthand how it was, but it was bad. We closed him off in a secluded corner of the paddock and he was treated onn Sunday, on Monday, and then Dan had to leave for Wellington for work and Dave took some of his precious vacation to treat the ram again on Tuesday.

The rest of the flock was also affected. Some of the ewes were showing early signs - head twitching, tail jerking, leaping around - so Dan decided to move them all down to the quarantine paddock to treat them. This meant that I would have to help. Why? Because our resident sheep whisperer is back in South Africa visiting her family. So here comes the second string off the bench.

I am proud to report that I did very well. I drove the car down to the paddock to use as a barrier to the main road. I shut gates. I stood behind the car and watched as the sheep trotted down. Perfect execution. I almost forgot! I also stood in the home paddock so the sheep wouldn't wheel around and bolt. Instead, they took one look at me and plodded along the fence line and out the gate.

I jumped in the car and passed them going down the hill. Nothing to it really. Just a matter of know-how. Dan herded them into the paddock and we were done. Of course, once they are flystrike free we have to move them back up but that is another story.

Dave joined Dan and they spent Monday treated the whole flock. And Dave treated them by himself on Tuesday. I can't figure out how he can stand it. This treatment is a poison so powerful that Dan was sick for 2 days just from his administering it to the sheep. Farm neighbors are the best! That is a lot of work to do when you have your own farm to manage, your own sheep to see to (flystrike is endemic right now), and you have a demanding job as well. Yet Dave is always good humored and kind. Very kind, Dan mentioned that he was at a loss as to how to treat the sheep and Dave reassured him that it took years to learn everything. And I'm sure he's right but it is daunting to realize that I haven't got those years. Still, Dan does so all is not lost.

We came back to the farm last night because we were too worried to stay in Auckland once Dan got back from his business trip. He had to go back down to the city for work today but the kids and I are here and I just love to go out to the paddock and watch our healthy ram sneer at the sight of me. The rest of the flock are still frolicking in the bottom paddock. I guess the second string will be called in to carry the ball on Sunday when Dan can move them back up the hill. I hope its not as onerous for me as moving them down. Driving a car a mile or more really takes it out of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment