StoneTree Farm

StoneTree Farm
StoneTree Farm

Monday 25 July 2011

Ram Rampant

I tried to get the ram into the flock's paddock this morning. No dice. As soon as he saw me, he stepped smartly out of the barn and scampered into the potting shed. He stayed there for hours. I know because I kept going out to look for him.

I left the gate to the paddock open in the hopes that when the flock moseyed down to graze, that he would tear up thinking of his poor, abandoned family and reassume his duties as pater familias. Finally, I did something right. On my last check, there he was. regal and on his feet. Always a good sign. He saw me and loathed me with every fibre of his being. He turned and trotted to the top of the far hill and stayed there while his harem gathered around him.

I closed the appropriate gates and left him there - a proud figure of a ram. Healthy and in charge once again. A true Ram Rampant. And I am very grateful for it. I admire him immensely and it thrills me to see him his old self. Needless to add, this admiration is a one way street. Still, I can't have everything. A healthy ram and a happy flock is good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment