StoneTree Farm

StoneTree Farm
StoneTree Farm

Tuesday 14 June 2011

Lamb Update

I have been touched by the numerous emails asking for an update on the lambs. Thanks to both of you. Starlight was born a week ago today and Lamb2 a day later. At first they stuck really close to their mothers and their mothers stayed a reasonable distance from the other sheep. By the time I left for Auckland on Monday, the two mothers had formed a support group of their own. I believe this to be in response to Starlight's hyperactivity. He jumps at all possible times; he prances, he nudges. In short, he drives his mother crazy.

Lamb2 seemed a tad more restrained but that could be because she is younger and following the more worldly one. So my last view of them was with Starlight's mother stretched out tail to the west and nose to the east and the brown ewe in the mirror position. Both ewes had their noses close together. Starlight was bouncing up and down in the northen position and Lamb2 was standing quietly to the south. A true southern belle.

The mothers appeared to be exchanging war stories. Starlight's mum has obviously been down this motherhood road before. No matter how frenetically Starlight tries to get her to play with him, she continues to absorb the calories. Occasionally he goes too far and she nudges him away with her nose and resumes eating. The brown ewe, however, is new to the game. She stands guard whenever I approach the fence. She doesn't move away like the other sheep, nor does she ignore me like Starlight's mum. She just stands very straight and watches me for however long I'm there. And I can be there for a half hour or more. Watching sheep is hypnotic. Now I know why people count them when they have insomnia.

When I got to the farm today, all was bucolic (I promise never to use that word again). Anyway, all was calm. The sheep were eating and the lambs were playing. They were chasing each other, leaping, gamboling about. Yael was entranced. It's hard not to be.

However, there are no new playmates, also known as lambs, for me not to name. But I'll keep you all updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment