StoneTree Farm

StoneTree Farm
StoneTree Farm

Tuesday 29 July 2014

Yes, They Were


In answer to my question of a few blogs ago: Are they or aren’t they. Yes, they are, or were, pregnant. We had a pretty hectic rain storm the other day and I didn’t get into the back paddock for 2 days.

 

When I did, it seems that my timing was impeccable. One ewe stood up rapidly, obviously ready to protect her young. And young they were. The umbilical cord was still dangling and one of the twins’ eyes were still shut. My untimely intrusion was not viewed with aplomb. There was serious bleating, shifting of hooves, and a rallying of the other members of the Borg. Those sheep really stick together!

So I waited 4 days and went back again today. All 5 of the lambs – 2 sets of twins and a single – were prancing around and the mothers were much more laid back. Not laid back enough to let me come close but one lamb had not gotten the memo (or wasn’t old enough to read) that I was Darth Vader and came right up to say hello. A furious Baa was enough to send him/her racing back to Mom.
 

It is cold and rainy and life is beating me up these days but I still thrill to watch the tiny lambs and marvel at them and their stalwart Moms. I sometimes think that this farm is saving my sanity. It feels magical to me and when an inquisitive lamb gambols over wanting to be f riends, I know I am one of the luckiest people on the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment