StoneTree Farm

StoneTree Farm
StoneTree Farm

Wednesday 2 April 2014

Creepy Crawlies


 
As you can see from the above picture of my late-lamented basil plant, we are having a problem with bugs here at the farm. The drought continues to linger and the bugs are thriving while the plants, trees, etc. are dying in record numbers.

So I am not an insect fan. In fact, there are a number of insects I actively dislike, even hate. I hate white tail spiders (I almost lost my left leg as a result of being bitten), I hate flies, and I actively dislike most creepy crawlies. But why? When I get right down to it, why such a visceral reaction?

Part of the reason is that all my adult life I lived in air conditioning, with screens separating me from the wicked outdoors and the exterminator coming with his monthly sprayings inside and out. I never actually experienced the real world. I never was bitten by mosquitoes, spiders, assorted multi-legged creatures or harassed by swarms of flies.

The farm is way out of my comfort zone and with the increased insect level this summer, I have red lined on several occasions. We all have had huge welts from mosquito bites. I have captured spiders trying to nest in my hair and we have watched the cataclysmic failure of our garden.

But philosophically what’s changed? Nothing actually. We had a mini invasion of locusts, overwhelming numbers of flies, etc. but that is normal throughout history. I am the oddity. I am the one that is trying to become acclimated to nature in my old age. It strikes me that my grandchildren are having the privileged upbringing that I was denied. They have the farm and are face to face with reality with every bee sting. Unpleasant but certainly preferable to living in an sterile environment where you have no connection with the world that surrounds you, nurtures you, and sustains you.
Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment