StoneTree Farm

StoneTree Farm
StoneTree Farm

Monday 23 July 2012

Dan Bows to Reality

With the best will in the world, I am not a natural herder. That fact is one that Dan had trouble accepting. He can move the stock anywhere he wants and they placidly follow him, turn on a dime, and obediently trot into the appropriate paddock.

It is not so with me. I think we can best rate me as clueless novice. It’s not that I don’t want to help out. It’s just that every time I try, chaos comes knocking. Remember me running the whole flock into Dan’s face? How about scattering the seven steers all the way to the road and then watching them race a mile back up to the original paddock?

So when Dan called today to say that it was time to move the steers, my heart sank. It perked right back up though when he continued to reassure me that all I need do was open the gate between paddocks #1 and #2. The idea was that eventually the steers would wander over.

So I did. The steers kept well out of range and stood with no expression on their faces. I called them but of course they didn’t come. So I left. I climbed two of the gates and happened to turn around. There were the steers RUNNING toward the gate. One even did a ballet leap in the air. They literally pushed each other in their haste to get into paddock #2.

I waited until they were well inside and busy eating, climbed back over the two gates, shut their gate, went back and climbed the three gates to the road and went home. I can’t wait to tell Dan. I am now a herder! You just have to know how.

No comments:

Post a Comment