StoneTree Farm

StoneTree Farm
StoneTree Farm

Saturday 21 April 2012

Permaculture


I may have heard the word ‘permaculture’ but if so I don’t think it made an impression on my increasingly sieve-like brain. It is so different now! Dan has been reading up on permaculture. A fairly innocuous statement, you’d think. You don’t know Dan. The world lost a great researcher when he turned to finance.

For Dan to ‘read up’ on something includes following every website link to the bitter end; reading every printed word; and talking to anyone with any knowledge on the subject here, there and everywhere. Skype was designed specifically for him.

So when he informed Yael and me that he was thinking of applying the principles of permaculture to our farm, we sat very still. We didn’t dare look at each other because it would expose our total lack of knowledge on the subject. When Dan explained it – very, very generally – it sounded good but what did it mean? Did it mean more work? More money? Getting rid of RAMbo, et al?

So I started reading. Now my reading range is a dictionary definition, a book list from Amazon from which I read the blurbs, and one or two short books with lots of illustrations. I am presently reading “Sepp Holzer’s Permaculture” and a fascinating read it is too.

Basically I have to throw away everything I know about farming. Not too hard since I don’t know much of anything. Then I have to try to visualize an integrated, interconnected system of elements ranging from weather, topography, soil type, plants, preferences, animals, etc. etc. This is a lot to expect from someone who can’t visualize what her menu will be for the next day.

But I am trying. Yael caught me standing on the road gazing forlornly at paddocks #1 and #2 beyond the red, red barn. Being exceptionally well-mannered, she didn’t ask me what I was doing but I explained anyway. “I am trying to visualize what the paddocks need.” I could tell that this was way more information than she wanted. I’m pretty sure she went back up to the house to look up inherited insanity. She does have my granddaughters to think of, after all.

According to Mr. Holzer, “a permaculture landscape is designed so that all of the plants and animals living there will work in harmony with each other.” (I wonder if that includes RAMbo?)

I haven’t broken this new concept to the stock yet. Let them enjoy these warm, dry Autumn days while they can. Soon the knacker will come ( the person who ‘home kills’ and dresses our meat for our freezer). Then the 3 lambs and 2 of the steers give their all to keep us fed for the next year or so.

And the shearers will be back soon. I can’t wait. Perhaps then I’ll be close enough to see if any of the ewes are pregnant. With RAMbo strutting his stuff on a daily basis, I have high hopes. Alessia asked me if any of the sheep had ‘babies in their bellies?’ I was a bit startled at this bit of knowledge and stammered out a “what?” So she explained that “sheep have babies in their bellies like grandma had Daddy and Mommy had Naavah and me. And I had my baby” (Doggie, her stuffed constant companion). But she only had Doggie in her stomach at night. Why, I don’t know. But it would sure make things easier if we could all only be pregnant while we slept.

I have been researching (in my slipshod way) chickens. I still want them but have resigned myself to another breed other than Buff Orphingtons. This breed doesn’t seem to be available here. So I’ll settle for my second choice which is Rhode Island Reds. These chickens are both good layers and good eating. They also don’t seem to fly away. Did you know that chickens can escape through flight? Neither did I. I assumed they just walked into the road and committed suicide.

I also want us to try a different breed of sheep. There is a Wiltshire breed that is resistant to flystrike, doesn’t need shearing and often has multiple births. Obviously they are meat sheep only but that’s fine with me. I’m out of the wool cleaning business permanently.

No comments:

Post a Comment