StoneTree Farm

StoneTree Farm
StoneTree Farm

Saturday 5 November 2011

Wow! Cows

We have cows! Correction, steers. Steers are male, cows are female. I just learned that. Very  little farm lore in my grade school days. Monday our stockman called from the cattle auction to say that we could have 4 black Angus yearlings. We said ‘yes’ and Dan spent most of the day preparing the stock pens and paddock.
Unfortunately, we had to go back to Auckland before the steers arrived. Dan had to get up at 4am the next morning to catch the first plane to Wellington and had work to do first. So we were pretty nervous about our new herd being left on their own for 3 days. Luckily, Barbara, Dave’s wife, kept an eye on them for us and when we pulled up on Thursday night, there they were. Proud, sleek, CALM, and very, very bovine.
Yael and I were thrilled to see that they placidly came to the fence to greet us. No maniacal racing around the paddock. No snorting or jumping of fences. And best of all, they were of a manageable size. We are happy as clams.
So Friday morning off go Dan and Yael to move the steers from our farthest paddock all the way up the hill to the paddock right in front of the main house. The girls and I watch from the living room. First we see the car come up the drive and block the way to the garage and barn. Then we see 4 steers walking (not running) up the road. They turn into the driveway and stop for a little nibble on the verge. Finally, here comes Yael, sauntering up the road behind them.
I have never figured out how she always manages to look chic in farmer’s garb. She had on jeans, a pullover, a straw hat that had a curly brim, and her trademark bubblegum pink wellies with white polka dots. She looked like she just stepped out of Vogue. I, on the other hand, wear jeans, a pullover, a canvas hat like Aussie outbackers wear, and bright purple wellies. I do not look like I just posed for Vogue. More like I posed for a wanted poster – escaped from the hospital for the criminally insane. I wonder what the difference could be? No, don’t write and tell me. Spare me the humiliation.
So things are looking good here on the farm. The steers are eating long and well. One has a bird that seems to live on its head. Doesn’t bother it any. Did I say how nice and calm they were?
The sheep are so contented that they even let me come to the fence and watch them without running away. Huge improvement in our relationship.
Most important of all, my garden is thriving. We are supposed to be having the beginning of our drought but someone forgot to tell Ms. Nature. It poured. I have now completed two beds with tomatoes, beans, peas, and peppers and Dan has built these rabbit, possum, everything else proof cages and I have figured how to get in so all is working well.
I work in my garden, watch the sheep, talk to the steers, check the progress of Dan’s trees and feel myself getting better every day. And every night I go to sleep without the scurrying of little rat feet over my head. Long live the makers of rat poison. Rats eat it and die. Sounds just fine to me.

1 comment:

  1. Joe Gregory ... USA expat19 December 2011 at 17:57

    What a truly gorgeous farm house! Get Dan and Yael to stand in front of it ... a pitchfork for Dan ... and you could put it on the cover of a resurrected Sat. Ev. Post ... Make sure that the camera man is called Norman. You can tell that this gal is a proper foreigner ... no mention of wetas, pukekos, moreporks, or skinks! It is understandable that she left out tuataras and kiwis, not many of them in this part of the country. Got a bro in Merced, Calif ... he has gophers ... thanks to the Almighty we don't have them varmits! And are the readers of this blog supposed to know what "wellies" are? Even being "happy as clams" might unsettle a few ... All of this TL writing is "sweet as." JTG

    ReplyDelete