StoneTree Farm

StoneTree Farm
StoneTree Farm

Thursday 25 August 2011

The Phalanx

The Phalanx


See the sheep? That’s the famous ovine phalanx with which they greet me whenever I come near. I don’t know where they learned the phalanx. I know it is described in Caesar’s Gallic Wars writings but I can’t think where they would have learnt Latin. Still, it is intimidating to me. But Thursday night I persevered and opened the gate to the front paddock.
Friday there were 12 happy sheep cavorting around the fresh grass. I have never seen them playing head butt, doing acrobatics over the ewes’ backs, and running for the sheer joy of it. I think it was mostly the grass but it was also that it wasn’t raining and there was a warm sun. Their fleeces are drying out and it is definitely time for the shearers to arrive.
The weather stayed perfect all weekend and when the family arrived Saturday night, Dan had brought me a present. A magnolia tree! I had one outside my window as a kid and still remember the marvelous fragrance. I can’t wait for this one to bloom. He also bought some fruit trees, nut trees and a stately oak (or it will be stately in about 10 years) perhaps they’ll plant me under it since my warranty should be up about then.
We had a great time figuring out where to put them and then actually putting them there. Dan also brought some lavender plants to replace some dead bushes around the house and I put them in. I don’t know what it is about plants, but the farm feels more ours now that we are investing in it long term with trees that will only reach maturity in 10 or 15 years. A great long term vision.
I planted the lavender and we all planted the trees and felt deliciously tired. Dan tossed my Raising Chickens for Dummies book into my lap and told me to get ready. Perhaps we’ll get some ‘chooks’ (local jargon) in a few months. My transition from city girl to country gal is almost complete. Anyone have a strand of hay for me to chaw down on? No. Oh, I forgot, I doused the hay with polyeurethane. So I guess I’ll just settle for the mental image. Til next time, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment